What is secondary glazing? This guide will answer that question, and more! It is designed to serve as a comprehensive overview of the acrylic magnetic secondary glazing process.
We will cover the benefits and importance of window glazing, as well as how to order the product from our storefront at Cut Plastic Sheeting! Installation details for acrylic magnetic secondary glazing will also be provided later on.
What is secondary glazing?
Secondary glazing is essentially like another article of clothing or line of protection for your window. It is fitted to the interior of your window and, if done correctly, has a loads of benefits!
What are the Benefits of Secondary Glazing?
We can list many reasons why acrylic secondary glazing is a great choice for you!
First and foremost, all of these benefits will be granted without needing to replace your current window. All you’re doing is adding a layer, essentially, and this will save you money from having to install an entirely new double-glazed window. Better to augment something yourself than get the whole thing replaced!
As long as you nail the fitting and sealing process, acrylic secondary glazing will do a useful job of providing the following:
- Sonic insulation – the extra layer of acrylic adds another buffer that will mitigate sound waves coming from outside.
- Temperature insulation – your windows will be thicker and help your room retain more heat. Another way to put it is that less heat will escape from your windows. This is sure to save you money on your utility bills moving forward!
- Other financial benefits – you are handling the installation yourself, so you’ll save a lot of money. Even if you have to hire a friend or family member to help you out, it won’t cost as much as bringing out an entire professional team for a small job!
What are the benefits of Clear Perspex Acrylic sheets?
Secondary glazing is made with Clear Perspex Acrylic sheets and can be used in both homes and offices. Acrylic is lightweight and easy to handle, making them perfect for DIY projects. With a high impact resistance and an extremely strong surface, these sheets are ideal for high traffic areas and will not break or shatter easily.
- They offer a uniform thickness and smooth finish.
- They offer low moisture absorption rate which makes it suitable for use in humid environments such as bathrooms or kitchens.
- They are an excellent option for displays because they can be cut to size, which is perfect for customizing the display to your needs. You’ll never have to worry about having the wrong size again.
- These sheets are a great alternative to glass. It is resistant to UV rays and can be cut with a laser.
- Clear Perspex Acrylic sheets come with a 10-year outdoor guarantee, which is more than enough time for most projects outside of commercial buildings.
How to Order Secondary Glazing for DIY Installations?
It’s not as complicated as it may seem. You will, however, have to perform a few DIY steps yourself, such as obtaining accurate measurements.
Measuring Your Window
It is important to get an accurate measurement of your window as we cut the sheet of acrylic to your specific size. All you need to do is measure the length and width of the window pane. Unique windows may require extra bespoke designs, so please keep this in mind.
Ordering From Cut Plastic Sheeting
If you are interested in DIY secondary glazing, you can check out our website, which features a comprehensive storefront for all things related to secondary glazing with popular cut to size options.
Ordering a cut to size secondary glazing kit from us couldn’t be easier! First up, choose the glazing thickness you desire. Next, enter the size you want the glazing. Third, take a look at our instant quote and see if it’s right for you. We here at Cut Plastics Sheeting supply our kits with all of the basics to set you up for success in the panel fixing process.
However, we should note that Cut Plastics Sheeting does not provide installation service for window secondary glazing. We are strictly providers for DIY secondary glazing.
How to Install Secondary Glazing?
Cut Plastic Sheeting has provided a step-by-step graphic, as well as a quick video, for your viewing pleasure. If you’d like further information in text format, here is a brief step-by-step guide that should get you started on installing your clear acrylic magnetic secondary glazing!
- Remove the panel from the packaging. Make sure the protective film remains in place on either side of the panel for now
- The magnetic strips should not be separated yet because accurate alignment is key to the application process. All strips should be straightened if necessary. The frame strip should not be applied by itself.
- Clean the window frame and remove any obvious debris. Ideally use a cleaner that won’t harm the acrylic like warm soapy water.
- Separate the film that protects the sheet on the magnet side. Remove the film by a couple of inches at each corner.
- Line up the panel against the frame of your window. When you are satisfied with the position of the secondary glazing, start removing the backing and paper from the magnetic surface. Keep in mind that this can be a tricky process and it may require a bit of elbow grease, so to speak.
- Slowly and carefully peel the backing paper away from the panel. Using a light amount of pressure, peel back the other sides. Once two sides are secured, the panel will be able to support itself.
- While ensuring that the alignment is retained, peel back all of the other sides.
- Apply consistent and strong pressure across the entirety of the glazing, either via your fingers or a tool.
- Once the installation is secure, remove the film from the inward side, if still applicable.
A few notes: the adhesive used for this product may take time to solidify fully, so be sure to attend to the glazing if necessary. There shouldn’t be any gaps or alignment issues between the magnetic strip and the windows.
In the case of an error, be sure to remove the entire panel and restart the process.
As you can see, the process of installing acrylic magnetic secondary glazing doesn’t have to be hard. Cut Plastic Sheeting can save you a lot of money in exchange for a few small added steps of measuring and cutting. The links and details listed above should get you well on the way, but if you want to learn more, you can check out this page as well. Best of luck with your installations!
If you still have any questions, you are welcome to contact us here. Our team will do our best to help you out
Cut Plastic Sheeting are based on the south Coast in Ivybridge, Devon UK. We have a full manufacturing facility which enables us to offer Cut To Size Acrylic as well as Cut To Size MDF. Shop our full range of products, including our Clear Acrylic, coloured acrylic and more recent MDF Wood Sheet ranges.
Our Team are always here to help with any enquiry, please send us an email or for more urgent needs give us a call – Contact Us