As hard as we try to avoid it, scratching plastic items is sometimes inevitable. Just as with glass and other DIY products, life takes over and we can become careless about how we treat things. That is until we notice a big scratch on the surface and we kick ourselves for becoming complacent.
So is there anything that we can do to make these scratches a little less obvious? Follow these useful tips for treating scratches simply and you should be back to flawless plastic sheeting in no time.
- Clean the plastic surface with a damp cloth, rubbing in a circular motion around the scratch. Dry the area to remove any dirt which should make the process easier to carry out.
- Apply a mild abrasive, such as toothpaste, furniture polish, baking soda or plastic polish to the scratch. Try our VuPlex Plastic Cleaning Kit which will also give your surface a gloss finish.
- Wipe a clean cloth over the paste you have added in a circular motion. Keep up this buffing action until the scratch has disappeared.
- Finally, clean and dry the area you have treated with a fresh cloth. For a supply of excellent cloths that will do the job, try our 5 x Microfibre Cleaning Cloths.
- Gather sheets of sandpaper in different grades (levels of fineness).
- Start with the least fine sandpaper and fold it down to fit the size of the scratch – you don’t want to sand the un-scratched part of the surface.
- Wet the sandpaper to avoid it being too abrasive and gently rub over the scratch in a circular motion. Keep buffing until the scratch vanishes, but don’t be too forceful.
- Clean the area with a fresh cloth and dry.
- Review the area you have treated. If you can still see the scratch repeat the process with the finer level of sandpaper.
- Finish by polishing the area, along with the rest of the surface, in order for it to blend in and look as good as new.
If a scratch is too deep it may not be possible to remove it, so try to take care when you use your plastic item. Otherwise try the simple tips we have offered and hopefully you will see results that leave your plastic looking beautifully smooth.